|SUMMARY||Assist the Lead Teacher with the operation and management of the preschool classroom, and executing the educational program in accordance with the mission and policies of PALC.|
|EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE||Education: High School Diploma
Experience: Minimum 1 year in a child care
9 clock hours of approved Communicating with Staff, Parents, and the Public pre-service training OR 3 semester hours Communications class.
MUST have at least one of the following:
(a) 800 hours of recent paid or documented volunteer experience supervising groups of school-age children in educational, recreational, social, or guidance contexts; or
(b) 600 hours of approved experience and 15 clock hours of approved college coursework; or
(c) 400 hours of approved experience and 3 semester hours or 45 clock hours, or their equivalent, of approved college coursework.
|QUALIFICATIONS||Must be at least 18-years old
Meet the requirements of licensing agencies and accrediting organizations.
Able to work effectively with multiple staff members, balance and prioritize multiple requests.
Sensitive to the needs of young children and familiar with early childhood theory and practice.
|SKILLS||1. Basic knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood
2. Ability to develop rapport with children, parents, and co-workers
3. Ability to follow instruction, without repeated follow-up
4. Ability to follow and implement, age appropriate curriculum to successfully engage children and foster social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development
5. Strong group management skills with children
6. Effective organizational skills
7. Effective interpersonal skills
8. Ability to conform to an established work schedule
9. Ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner
10. Ability to understand and follow instructions precisely
11. Ability to exercise tact, discretion and confidentiality
|DUTIES||• Assist Lead Teacher in maintaining records on each child’s progress and development for the purpose of planning and compliance with MSDE
• Responsible for assisting the teacher with the full implementation of MSDE performance standards, policies and procedures, regulations and guidelines in the day-to-day operation of an early childhood development center (2 years-5 years of age) including developmentally appropriate practices for a pre school program.
• Participate in staff meetings, center activities, and staff development.
• Must work the days and hours to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks, be punctual and timely in meeting all performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines.
• Assist Lead Teacher in reviewing the progress of each child and developing written plans to promote each child’s growth and development.
• Maintain a well-organized, safe and attractive classroom environment conducive to the optimal growth and development of children.
• Assist in preparing and/or serving meals in accordance to CACFP regulations, state and local health and safety regulations and center policies.
• Develop a positive relationship with each child and promote the development of self-esteem and self-discipline.
• Assist Lead Teacher with implementing proper toileting procedures
• Assist Lead Teacher in preparing and implementing the daily program of activities based on principles of child development and in accordance with the program’s curriculum
• Observe each child daily to assess skills, interests, and needs and use this information to facilitate learning and growth.
• Establish a positive relationship with each child’s family and share information about the child’s day at the Center.
• Perform other duties as required or assigned.
|PHYSICAL CAPABILITIES||Must have the ability to:
1. Lift up to 40 lbs.
2. Repetitive bending, stretching, and stooping
3. Have mobility required to ensure the safety of the children
4. Work with children on the floor
5. Work outdoors in any variety of weather
6. Fully capable to have visual or hearing capabilities consistent with licensing safety requirements
7. Perform light duty cleaning and sanitation
|OTHER||• Documentation of Tuberculin-free condition
• Clear criminal background check